Healthy hair care tips for healthy & beautiful hair
Having beautiful hair can significantly boost our confidence and self esteem. A person’s beauty can be defined by his/her hair. As such, proper care for your hair is important to give you healthy, lustrous hair and to prevent hair loss. Below are important healthy hair care tips to follow:
(1) Shampooing – The first step in healthy hair care is shampooing. You should select a natural based shampoo. Natural based shampoo like the Laut hair shampoo is more gentle to the hair and scalp, and used herbal ingredients that have been traditionally proven to prevent hair loss and dandruff. Other shampoos in the market use harsh chemicals that can result in hair loss and dry scalp.
Also, you should not shampoo your hair for more than once in a day. If you can, it is better to shampoo your hair every other day as excessive shampooing can strip the hair of oils, causing it to look dried. Make sure you completely rinse the shampoo off; otherwise, the build-up of residue can clog the pores on the scalp.
After shampooing, you should apply conditioner on the end of the hair to help repair and restore damaged hair.
(2) Brushing – brushing is healthy for your hair and scalp. Brushing spreads the oils from the scalp evenly throughout the hair. Furthermore, brushing can help to promote blood circulation on the scalp.
Since wet hair is weak and prone to breaking, it is recommended to brush your hair when it is dried. After you take a shower, use the tower to squeeze out excess water. You should not use the towel to rub on the hair as it can cause damage to the hair.
(3) Blow dryers – If used incorrectly, the heat from the blow dryer can cause severe damage to the hair. You should use the tower to squeeze out excess water and then allow your hair to air dry first. Only use hair blower if necessary or if you have long hair. When using the hair blower, set it to low or medium heat and keep it away from your hair for about 8 inches.
(4) Eat a balanced diet – A balanced diet is an essential component of healthy hair care. Eat a balanced diet to provide your hair with the right amount of nutrients. You should eat a balanced diet consisting of lots of fruits and vegetables, protein, and fiber. Since hair is primarily made up of protein, your diet should include sufficient protein from food source such as fish, meat, milk, cheese, and soy. Protein will make your hair stronger and prevent hair from breaking. Also, you should drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. If you do not get enough vitamins, minerals from food, you should consider taking supplements. The following vitamins and supplements are considered beneficial for your skin and hair.
(5) Vitamins for healthy hair
- Vitamin A is very good for the skin and the scalp. You can get Vitamin A from eating meat, milk, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, apricots. You can also take supplement, but do no exceed more than 5,000 IU per day.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps maintain the health of the skin and hair. Vitamin C can be found from eating citrus fruits, berries, kiwi, green peppers, broccoli or from taking supplement.
- Vitamin E – Another important antioxidant that enhances circulation on the scalp. Food sources include raw seeds and nuts, beans, and leafy green vegetables. If you take supplement, daily dose of 400 IU is recommended.
- Biotin – Biotin is excellent for promoting the health of nail and hair. Food sources include whole grains, egg yolks, nuts, cauliflower, milk and rice. Since the amount of biotin from food is not sufficient for therapeautic benefits, a daily supplement with dose of 300 – 600 mcg is recommended.
- Minerals – minerals such as iron, zinc, and copper are vital for health of your hair. Food such as seafood, dark green vegetables, nuts, seeds contain ample minerals.
(6) Avoid perming, coloring, or exposure to chlorine – Too much exposure to chemicals is bad for skin as well as hair. When you bathe in contaminated water, you are subjecting your body to harmful and dangerous contaminants and chemicals. The municipal treated water can certainly kill bacteria and other organisms, but it does so with a chlorine compound. The problem is that this chlorine compound, which kills bacteria, can be harmful to your hair and skin. Chlorine can cause dry skin, dry hair, itching, flaking, hair loss, rashes, & premature aging.
A filtered shower can effectively filter out up to 99% of the chlorine and other harmful substances and contaminants such as lead, iron, chloramines while balancing the PH. By using a filtered shower, you will have the following health benefits:
- Your hair color looks better longer since it helps soften the hard water.
- Your hair will regain its bounce and luster and becomes more manageable.
- No more itchy, dry, and flaky skin and scalp.
- Helps prevent hair thinning and hair loss.
You may want to consider replacing your shower head with a filtered shower head. The filtered shower head helps to remove chlorine, lead, iron, harmful contaminants. What you get is clean, fresh water to wash your skin and hair.
(7) Exercise Regularly – Finally, you should exercise regularly to stimulate blood flow to the scalp and help nourish the hair follicle.
By following the above healthy hair care tips, you will soon have healthy, lustrous hair and prevent hair loss and dandruff problems.